American Express Cobalt™ Card
Pairs well with...
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Card Type
- Cash Advance
- Balance Transfer
- Personal Income
- Household Income
- The highest earn rate on both groceries and restaurants of any card in Canada.
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at grocery stores, bars and restaurants.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on gas, travel and transit.
- Earn 1 point for every other $1 spent.
- $10 monthly fee, instead of an annual fee.
- Earn up to 30,000 rewards points as a welcome bonus in the first year when you spend $500 every month.
- Highest reward value is achieved by redeeming for flights using the Fixed Points Travel Program.
- You can also redeem your points for ANY purchase you make to the card instantly, including essentials like groceries.
- Get access to the Cobalt Perks Program and Front Of The Line by American Express Invites.
- Enjoy a special low interest rate of 7.99% on purchases charged to the card within the first 6 months.*
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply Now button.
- * Conditions apply.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Emergency Medical Term||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
The newest card from American Express is causing quite a stir and for good reason.
Targeted at Millennials and people who lead active social lives, the American Express Cobalt Card, is the card that rewards cardholders for simply doing the things they enjoy.
Allowing cardholders to earn 5x the points on food and drinks, this card rewards you for eating out at restaurants, bars or coffee shops, as well as making trips to your local grocery store. So, no matter what your eating habits are, this card has you covered.
The Amex Cobalt card also rewards you for travel and transportation. Giving you 2x the points on gas purchases, Uber rides, your metro card along with more typical travel purchases, like flights and hotels. Wherever you need to get around - this card will give you more points while helping you get there.
Food and travel, aren't the only way to earn rewards though. Everywhere else you use your card you will still earn 1 reward point for every $1 spent - the standard amount for most rewards credit cards.
Each month that you spend $500 in your first year, you'll earn a bonus of 2,500 reward points*. That adds up to 30,000 points if you do that every month. Those points end up being worth up to $525 when redeemed for flights anywhere in Canada & the Continental USA, $300 for any type of travel or $210 in cash as a statement credit to pay for any purchase you make.
Unlike some rewards cards, you can use your Cobalt points for virtually anything you want. Just log into your mobile app and use your points to pay for the purchases you've just made...
1,000 points for $10 on travel (including your transit pass!) and 1,000 points for $7 on absolutely anything else - no restrictions.
We can’t forget to mention the Fixed Points Travel Program that American Express offers. By far your best option for redeeming your rewards, if you go with a long haul flight from Canada to the US, your 1,000 points will be worth $17.50 instead of $10.
Added to all of that, is a decent insurance package (Click on the Insurance Coverage tab above to find out more information) and access to exclusive offers and events through the Cobalt Perks Program and American Express Invites.
While this fancy new card does come with a fancy $120 annual price tag, Amex has decided to lighten its blow. Instead of paying a fee of $120 once a year, your payments are spread out over the 12 months - $10 a month doesn't seem so bad for the great benefits you are getting.
And there you have it. The new Cobalt Card from American Express.
Prefer a credit card that offers more acceptance? The
Plus, as part of signing up, get up to 3,000 AIR MILES and a one-time use companion voucher.
For the same annual fee of $120, it's definitely a card worth looking into.
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining of all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.
* Conditions apply.