CIBC Aventura Gold Visa Card
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Cash Advance
- Balance Transfer
- Personal Income
- Household Income
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent.
- Earn 1.5 points for every $1 spent on groceries, gas, and drugstore purchases.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on trips purchased through the CIBC Rewards Centre.
- A 20,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $458 in flights.
- Flexible rewards you can use for travel, merchandise, gift cards, one-of-a-kind activities, or even help pay down your balance and purchase investments.
- Smart long haul and short haul flight redemption options that use fewer points when you want to book that less costly flight with points.
- Access to over 1,200 airport lounges with a Priority Pass Membership and four free annual visits.
- Every fourth year, get the application fee rebated when you apply for a NEXUS card.
- 10 types of travel and purchase insurance.
- Your first year annual fee is waived.
- 24/7 concierge service.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Emergency Medical Term||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
Other cards you might like
People interested in this card were also interested in...
The CIBC Aventura Gold Visa is one of the best flexible rewards cards on the market right now. It's particularly good for those who want a premium travel rewards credit card but don't meet the usual minimum income requirements to qualify.
What makes this card special is that it has nearly all of the features of its big brother, the
As a cardholder you'll get a nice sign up bonus worth up to $458 when redeemed for flights in addition to the rewards you'll earn on every purchase you make:
- 1 point for every $1 spent
- 1.5 points for every $1 spent at gas stations, plus grocery and drug stores
- 2 points for every $1 spent on travel purchased through the CIBC Rewards Centre
These flexible rewards can be used for a number of different things:
- Flights on any airline,
- Other types of travel,
- Gift cards,
- Vacation packages,
- Financial services, and...
- Statement credits.
1 point per $1 spent on most items may seem ho-hum because it is like almost every points based card on the market and it looks worse than those offering 2 points per $1 spent or more.
It's actually much better than it seems though because each point is worth much more than the usual 1 cent per point. Each point is worth up to 2.3 cents when redeemed for highly flexible and valuable flight rewards. For example 35,000 points can be redeemed for a flight on any airline at competitive prices worth up to $800. If you get the full $800 value on your flight, then each point is worth 2.3 cents (rounded up).
That means you're getting at least a 2.3% return on spending but that jumps to 3.5% on gas, groceries, and drugstore purchases and even further to 4.6% on CIBC travel purchases. That makes the 2% return you get with other cards that give you 2 points per $1 spent - where each point is worth 1 cent - look not quite so good anymore.
The Aventura Gold card from CIBC also comes with 8 different types of travel and purchase insurance (which you can find out more about under the Insurance Coverage tab above).
To make travel even easier and worry free, this card comes with 24/7 access to CIBC Travel Concierge Service so you can get help with your travel arrangements, gift buying, reservations, event tickets, and more.
Plus, every fourth year, if you apply for a NEXUS card, you’ll get a rebate on the application fee. A great way to make travel to the United States easier.
Although this card comes with a fairly high price tag of $120, CIBC will waive the annual fee for the first year, and again, there is only a $15,000 minimum income requirement so it's pretty easy to qualify for.
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining of all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.