If you’ve been collecting AIR MILES for any amount of time, you will know that it can take a lot of time to rack up your miles.
Unfortunately, not every store accepts AIR MILES loyalty cards and the standard rate of earning is 1 mile for every $20 spent. At that rate, getting your dream trip to Europe is going to take a while.
It is no secret, however, that if you want to start racking in your AIR MILES reward miles, getting an AIR MILES credit card could help:
- award you with bonus AIR MILES,
- earn you AIR MILES at a faster rate everywhere you shop, and…
- allow you to collect miles twice when you’re shopping at stores that accept your standard issue AIR MILES rewards card.
Higher than average sign-up bonuses
Every once in a while, credit card issuers will throw in a “little extra something” for anyone who signs up for their credit cards. These limited time offers will often include:
- higher than average sign-up bonuses, or even…
- low introductory balance transfer interest rates.
These offers and deals are add-on incentives for Canadians to sign up for these credit cards.
3,800 bonus AIR MILES
Amex will also start you off right with up to 3,800 miles:
- 1,400 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months,
- 200 bonus miles every month when you spend $750 in first 6 months, and
- another 200 bonus miles every month you spend $1,500 in first 6 months.
It does have an annual fee of $299, but it also gives you:
- 9 different types of travel and purchase insurance,
- access to AIR MILES FlexFly, which gives you access to airlines and destinations that are not available within the regular AIR MILES program,
- an annual companion flight when you redeem your points for an AIR MILES flight, and…
- the ability to have the AIR MILES flight administration fee waived at the time of booking – this is the only AIR MILES card to offer this.
Read our full review here:
3,500 bonus AIR MILES
If you don’t think you can handle a $299 annual fee, the
Earn up to 3,500 miles with this card:
- 1,700 miles after you spend $1,500 in the first 3 months,
- 150 bonus miles every month you spend $500 in the first 6 months, and
- another 150 bonus miles every month you spend $1,000 in the first 6 months.
And, even though it has a lower annual fee, it actually has better earn rates – the best of any AIR MILES credit card:
- 1 mile per $5 spent on gas, groceries, and restaurants (up to $30,000 spent annually), and
- 1 mile per $10 spent on all other purchases.
If earning the most AIR MILES is your goal, this is the card for you.
3,000 bonus AIR MILES
The best AIR MILES sign up bonus among BMO AIR MILES cards is definitely the
Those 3,000 miles is enough for two short-haul flight.
(Curious where 3,000 miles could get you? Check out this link.)
You’ll also get 14 types of purchase and travel insurance package and a 15% discount on AIR MILES flights booked within North America – helping you to stretch your miles even further.
Plus, you’ll also get the first year free.
Read our full review and user reviews right here:
Up to 800 bonus AIR MILES
Finding a no fee travel card that will give you a sign-up bonus is always nice.
BMO has a few no fee AIR MILES credit cards in their portfolio that do exactly that.
In fact, there are currently 5 different BMO credit cards that will award new cardholders with a sign-up bonus of up to 800 AIR MILES:
Whether you are just starting out in the credit card rewards game or you are looking to start earning AIR MILES everywhere you shop, any one of these no fee credit cards may be a nice addition to your wallet.
The above cards are very similar, but they do offer more rewards when you’re shopping in certain locations, so you just need to decide which one will suit you best.
Permanently high sign-up bonuses
There are also a few credit cards that give a permanently high sign-up bonus.
These offers are NOT limited to a certain time-frame, so you don’t need to worry about missing out on anything here.
500 bonus AIR MILES
On top of your sign-up bonus, this card will give you purchase insurance and travel accident insurance. Plus, access to Front of the Line advance ticket sales and reserved seatings, through American Express.
The best bonus AIR MILES for signing up
No matter which card you choose, you can take advantage of these sign-up bonuses.
Here’s a review of all cards listed above:
|AIR MILES Sign-up Offer||Credit Card||Bonus Offer Details||Annual Fee||Card Details|
|Up to 3,800 miles||American Express AIR MILES Reserve||* 1,400 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months,
* 200 bonus miles every month you spend $750 in first 6 months,
* another 200 bonus miles every month you spend $1,500 in first 6 months.
|Up to 3,500 miles||American Express AIR MILES Platinum||* 1,700 miles after you spend $1,500 in the first 3 months,
* 150 bonus miles every month you spend $500 in the first 6 months,
* another 150 bonus miles every month you spend $1,000 in the first 6 months.
|3,000 miles||BMO AIR MILES World Elite Mastercard||* 1,000 miles after your first purchase, and
* another 2,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.
|$120 (First year free)|
|500 miles||American Express AIR MILES||500 miles when you charge a total of $500 within your first 3 months||$0|
|800 miles||BMO AIR MILES Mastercard||Up to 800 miles after qualified spending||$0|
|800 miles||BMO IGA AIR MILES Mastercard||Up to 800 miles after qualified spending||$0|
|800 miles||BMO Sobeys AIR MILES Mastercard||Up to 800 miles after qualified spending||$0|
|800 miles||BMO Shell AIR MILES Mastercard||Up to 800 miles after qualified spending||$0|
|800 miles||BMO AIR MILES Mastercard for students||Up to 800 miles after qualified spending||$0|