Scotiabank GM Visa Card
- Earn 5% in GM earnings on the first $5,000 spent.
- Earn 2% in GM earnings on purchases after $5,000.
- The highest rewards earn rate, by far, of any no fee credit card in Canada.
- As long as you are a cardholder, your earnings never expire and there is no earning cap or redemption limit.
- $1 GM earning =$1 off the purchase or lease of a GM vehicle.
- Includes purchase protection and extended warranty.
- Enjoy 20% discount at Avis locations worldwide.
- No annual fee.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
A no annual fee card that offers rewards of any type that give you a 5% return on spending is pretty unheard of. In fact this is the only card on the market that does so without a time-limited promotion.
Now it's true that with the Scotiabank GM Visa you need to redeem your rewards towards a new GM vehicle. It's also true that the 5% rewards only applies on the first $5,000 in spending each year. That's still a solid $250 reward each year if you decide to stop at $5K.
If you decide to keep spending, you'll be earning 2% until your annual spend amount resets on your card anniversary date and your earn rate jumps up to 5% again.
So, if you're a fan of GM and you plan on buying a new vehicle in the next few years, this card is a really solid contender. If you're not a fan, hearing "GM" may make you think your vehicle choices will be limited. Keep in mind though that GM encompasses the Chevrolet, Buick, GM, and Cadillac brands.
So, in summary, you'll earn:
- 5% in GM earnings on the first $5,000 spent
- 2% in GM earnings on anything spent over $5,000
Then every $1 worth of GM earnings you accumulate equals $1 that can go towards the purchase or lease of your next GM vehicle.
One of the best parts? There is no cap or limit to the amount of rewards that you can earn and these rewards never expire as long as you remain a cardholder. Save up for as long as you want! Who knows, maybe you'll save enough to pay for the vehicle in full!
Despite being a no fee card, there is some purchase insurance included - check out the Insurance Coverage tab above for more information. And as an added bonus, this card gives you 20% off whenever you rent a car from AVIS car rental locations worldwide.
If you like this card, but wish it had more insurance and a few more perks, check out the Visa Infinite version (Spoiler Alert: You can get it free for the first year!)