National Bank World Elite Mastercard
Pairs well with...
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Card Type
- Cash Advance
- Balance Transfer
- Balance Transfer
- Transfer Term
- 6 months
- Personal Income
- Household Income
- Get the first year free when you spend $3,000 in 3 months. Offer valid until March 31, 2019.
- 1.5 points per $0 to $40,000 in purchases.
- 2 points per $40,001 to $80,000 in purchases.
- 1.5 points per $80,001 and more in purchases.
- 1.5 extra points on flight and travel bookings made through the À la carte travel agency.
- Save and get a better rate when booking your trip through À la carte Travel.
- $250 in yearly "savvy traveller" fee reimbursements for parking ($100), seat selection ($50) and baggage check-in fees ($100).
- Superior purchase protection that gives you 180 days protection and extended warranty that triples up to 2 years.
- Great travel insurance coverage that gives you up to 60 days travel medical for those under age 75, trip cancellation and interruption, and more.
- Unlimited access to the National Bank lounge at the Montreal airport.
- 24/7 concierge service.
|Extended Warranty||2 years|
|Purchase Protection||180 days|
|Emergency Medical Term||60 days|
|Emergency Medical over 65||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$1,000|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
|Rental Car Personal Effects||$2,000|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
®ECHO, ALLURE, EDITION and À LA CARTE REWARDS PLAN, are registered trademarks of National Bank.
®ULTRAMAR is a registered trademark of Valero, used under licence.
® WORLD MASTERCARD and WORLD ELITE are registered trademarks of Mastercard International Inc. Authorized user: National Bank.
® Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
If you're looking for a travel credit card that gives you valuable rewards and superior insurance, then the
À la carte reward points
This card has a tiered rewards system and is ideal for anyone who spends between $40K and $80K a year. The rewards earned with every purchase will give cardholders:
- 1.5 points per $0 to $40,000 in purchases,
- 2 points per $40,001 to $80,000 in purchases,
- 1.5 points per $80,001 and more in purchases, and
- a bonus 1.5 points per dollar spent on flights and vacation packages through the À la carte travel agency.
Not sure how a tiered system works?
Let's say your typical annual spend is around the $100K mark and you are redeeming your points for travel using National Bank’s site (which offers the best value).
10,000 points = $100
|Dollars Spent||Points Earned||Return on Spending|
|First $40,000||40,000 * 1.5 = 60,000||60,000 * 0.01 = $600|
|Next $40,000||40,000 * 2 = 80,000||80,000 * 0.01 = $800|
|Last $20,000||20,000 * 1.5 = 30,000||30,000 * 0.01 = $300|
|Total: $100,000||Total: 170,000 points||Total: $1,700|
As you can see, this card rewards you best when you're spending between $40K and $80K annually.
With these À la carte points cardholders can plan vacations or shop for gift cards and name brand merchandise. Plus, points can be exchanged for a number of different financial products. À la carte points can be used for:
- RRSP or TFSA contributions,
- mortgage loan or All-in-One line of credit payments, and...
- paying for different banking packages.
Travel insurance and perks
On top of the valuable rewards offered by this card, cardholders are also given some impressive travel perks and benefits.
Many credit cards will not give you emergency medical insurance if you are 65+, but this World Elite card will cover you for 15 days of travel.
Plus, your purchases will be covered with the best purchase protection and extended warranty insurance in Canada.
Secondly, this card will give you up to $250 in travel fee reimbursements. Just pay these fees with your Mastercard, save the receipts and you could find yourself being reimbursed for:
- $100 for airport parking,
- $50 for seat selection charges, and…
- $100 in baggage checking fees.
If you're a frequent traveler, these annual savings alone could be worth the annual fee.
Finally, if you live near the Montreal-Trudeau airport, or find yourself passing through there often, the National Bank World Elite Mastercard will give you unlimited access to the National Bank airport lounge.
Curious to know more? Check out our full review of the National Bank Travel Mastercards.
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining of all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.
* Conditions apply.