BMO CashBack Mastercard
Pairs well with...
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Card Type
- Cash Advance
- Balance Transfer
- Balance Transfer
- Transfer Term
- 9 months
- Personal Income
- Household Income
- Earn 5% cash back for your first 3 months (up to $2,000 in spending).
- Earn 1% cash back on all purchases after that.
- Get a 1.99% introductory interest rate on Balance Transfers for 9 months, 1% fee applies to balance amounts transferred.
- Choose when you get to redeem your rewards: annually, each time you reach a certain amount, or just in one big lump sum.
- Purchases made with the card are covered by BMO’s extended warranty and purchase protection.
- Get up to 25% off at National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car locations.
- Add extra cardholders at no cost.
- No annual fee.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
BMO is not responsible for maintaining the content on this site. Please click on the Apply now link for the most up to date information.
When it comes to rewards, it’s always nice to be in control. If you’re someone who wants to be able to access your cash back rewards when it suits you – and not once a year when the bank decides – the BMO CashBack Mastercard could be the card for you.
How to earn BMO CashBack Rewards
With this card there are no tiers or complicated earning systems, instead, the BMO CashBack Mastercard lets you earn 1% cash back on all your purchases – everywhere.
And as an added bonus, for the first 3 months, you'll get 5x the cash back (up to $100 in total rewards) – not a bad way to start off your cash back earnings. Plus, it’s one of the highest sign-up bonuses for a no fee cash back card.
Great start, right?
We haven’t even gotten to one of the best things about this card yet…with the BMO CashBack Mastercard, you get to be the one who decides when and how you get your cash back.
How to redeem BMO CashBack Rewards
That’s right, not only does this card allow you to get your money three different ways:
- deposited into your BMO chequing account,
- put into an Investorline account, or
- you can just use it as a statement credit.
...but you also get to decide when you get it. Your rewards can be redeemed monthly, annually, each time you hit a certain reward amount, or in one big lump sum. Perfect for control freaks.
Why is this so special?
Often cash back cards limit the time (and often the way) you can enjoy your rewards. And even though cash is the most flexible of all rewards, cash back credit cards will often only let you enjoy your cash as a statement credit, once a year. So even though you’re racking up big rewards every month, that money is held captive by the bank.
With this card, you get your rewards when you want (or need) it. You decide.
A few other benefits...
The BMO CashBack Mastercard also gives cardholders discounts at National and Alamo Car Rental locations. So, if renting a car is something you ever do for work or when you’re on vacation, or if it is something you plan on doing in the future – saving up to 25% is a nice little extra.
Finally, this card does include a small bit of insurance. For no extra cost, you can benefit from the extended warranty and purchase protection insurance this card comes with.
As with any card, this card does have its negative aspects:
- The insurance that comes with this card is somewhat lacking – there are no fee cards out there with better insurance packages. So if insurance is important, this might not be the right card for you.
- If you’re a big spender, this card won’t get you max cash. If you spend more than $1,200 per month, you should look at a different card – like the BMO CashBack World MasterCard or the BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard.
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining of all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.
* Conditions apply.