Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Cash Advance
- Balance Transfer
- Promo Transfer
- Promo Term
- 12 months
- Personal Income
- Household Income
- Earn a statement credit of $100 if you charge $1,500 in purchases in the first 3 months.
- Earn another $150 statement credit if you charge $200 or more in purchases at participating Starwood or Marriott properties in your first 6 months.
- Transfer points to more than 30 airline rewards programs, usually 1:1.
- Get a 25% bonus (5,000 miles) when you transfer points to miles in 20,000 point chunks.
- Earn 1 point per dollar spent, which is like 1.25 miles per dollar spent when you count the transfer bonus.
- Very high reward value when redeeming for hotel stays, transferring to miles, or with “Nights & Flights”.
- A free weekend hotel night when you spend $40,000 annually.
- Starwood gold status when you spend $30,000 annually.
American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply Now button.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
The Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) rewards program is quite possibly the best travel rewards program in the world. That strength translates into the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American being one of the top travel credit cards in Canada.
Starpoints can be redeemed for valuable free hotel nights at any Starwood property, but more importantly they can be transferred to more 30 airline rewards programs worldwide - most of them 1 to 1. Most rewards programs don’t have any airline partners and those that do usually allow you to transfer to a handful of partners. 30 is completely unheard of.
If you transfers Starpoints to miles in 20,000 point chunks, they’ll give you a bonus of 5,000 miles in your chosen airline rewards program - that’s a 25% bonus which makes it even better than a 1:1 transfer.
Why is this such a huge advantage?
First, airline miles are many times more valuable than standard rewards points. Second, it allows you to choose the airline rewards that give you the highest value depending on where and when you are travelling. That’s a travel hacker’s dream come true.
The card has other great features outside of SPG too. You can get up to $250 in statements credits in your first year, plus you get 1 point per dollar spent, which is really 1.25 miles per dollar spent because of the 25% bonus already mentioned. No other card with a $120 annual fee offers that.
You can also link your Marriott Rewards and SPG accounts to take advantage of transferring your points between the two programs. This means you can redeem your points at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards properties. Plus, Marriott will match your status when you link your accounts.
Additionally, the free upgrade to SPG gold when you spend $30,000 annually on the card gives you lots of nice perks at Starwood properties including late checkout, an upgraded room, a welcome gift, and free internet if you book with SPG online.
If you reach $40,000 in spending, you’ll also get one free weekend night’s stay per year in a category 1 to 4 Starwood hotel.
There’s lots to love with this card if you can put up with the limited Starpoint earning opportunities in Canada outside of points earned on this card itself.