Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
- Transfer points to more than 30 airline rewards programs, usually 1:1.
- Get a 25% bonus (5,000 points) when you transfer points to miles in 20,000 point chunks.
- Earn 1 point per dollar spent, which is like 1.25 miles per dollar spent when you count the transfer bonus.
- Earn 2 Starwood points for every $1 spent at SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels until February 15, 2018.
- 20,000 sign up bonus points = 20,000 miles when transferred = about $625 in flights.
- Very high reward value when redeeming for hotel stays, transferring to miles, or with “Nights & Flights”.
- A free weekend hotel night when you spend $40,000 annually.
- Starwood gold status when you spend $30,000 annually.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage|
The Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) rewards program is quite possibly the best travel rewards program in the world. That strength translates into the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American being one of the top travel credit cards in Canada.
Starpoints can be redeemed for valuable free hotel nights at any Starwood property, but more importantly they can be transferred to more 30 airline rewards programs worldwide - most of them 1 to 1. Most rewards programs don’t have any airline partners and those that do usually allow you to transfer to a handful of partners. 30 is completely unheard of.
If you transfers Starpoints to miles in 20,000 point chunks, they’ll give you a bonus of 5,000 miles in your chosen airline rewards program - that’s a 25% bonus which makes it even better than a 1:1 transfer.
Why is this such a huge advantage?
First, airline miles are many times more valuable than standard rewards points. Second, it allows you to choose the airline rewards that give you the highest value depending on where and when you are travelling. That’s a travel hacker’s dream come true.
The card has other great features outside of SPG too. You get 1 point per dollar spent, which is really 1.25 miles per dollar spent because of the 25% bonus already mentioned. No other card with a $120 annual fee offers that.
Additionally, the free upgrade to SPG gold when you spend $30,000 annually on the card gives you lots of nice perks at Starwood properties including late checkout, an upgraded room, a welcome gift, and free internet if you book with SPG online.
If you reach $40,000 in spending, you’ll also get one free weekend night’s stay per year in a category 1 to 4 Starwood hotel.
There’s lots to love with this card if you can put up with the limited Starpoint earning opportunities in Canada outside of points earned on this card itself.