The Platinum Card
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Cash Advance
- Personal Income
- Household Income
- Huge sign up bonus* of up to 50,000 points – worth about $1,500.
- 1.25 points per dollar spent on every purchase made.
- Unlimited international lounge access for you and a guest at over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide. Better than any other card.
- VIP treatment at Toronto Pearson with free valet service, priority security lane, and more.
- Great travel insurance including StandbyMD doctors that do house calls when traveling.
- Complimentary breakfast, upgrades, spa credits, and late checkout at 700+ hotels.
- Renowned concierge and travel assistance just for Platinum cardholders.
- $200 annual travel credit that can be redeemed for any travel.
- Access to exclusive Platinum experiences created just for you.
- Upgraded status in 3 hotel rewards programs.
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply Now button.
- As a Charge Card, the balance must always be paid in full each month.
- * Conditions apply.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||120 days|
|Emergency Medical Term||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$1,000|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
The Platinum Card from American Express is the undisputed champion when it comes to amazing perks that will make your travel experience and life just a little more convenient and comfortable.
It better deliver too because the $699 annual fee is among the highest in Canada. Here’s the real question: is the annual fee warranted.
The answer: yes it is for frequent travellers and those looking to cash in on the big sign up bonus* of up to 50,000 points.
Right off the bat, those 50K points are worth about $1,500 in long haul flight rewards anywhere in Canada and the USA if you transfer your points to Aeroplan 1:1.
Then, there’s the $200 travel credit that can be redeemed against any type of travel purchased through the Amex travel service (don’t worry, their prices are the same as everywhere else). This credit get renewed every year on your anniversary.
All those bonuses and credits pretty much cover the annual fee for a few years, so you’re free to enjoy all the other perks the card offers.
Among the most valuable of those is the unlimited airport lounge access you get through the free highest tier membership you get in Priority Pass. They partner with more than 1,200 lounges worldwide so you are covered at almost every major airport there is. Most other cards either have no lounge access or give you a fixed number of 2-6 visits throughout the year. You can also bring a guest at no extra charge, another rare feature.
Next, is the VIP status you get at Toronto Pearson airport. You can breeze through the security line via a special lane and take advantage of free valet service when parking your car to make sure you never miss your flight.
There’s plenty of hotel benefits as well, including upgraded status in Starwood Preferred Guest, Hilton Hotels, and Radisson Hotel Group.
Finally, I’ll mention the dedicated concierge and customer service lines for Platinum cardholders. American Express is known for both their concierge and customer service. You can expect reduced wait times and they’ll help you with with all kinds of research, event bookings, travel planning, and many other things at no cost to you.
It also comes with great insurance coverage and plenty of other perks, but if I mentioned them all we’d be here all day.
My advice: apply for this card, get the big bonus and travel credit, try out all the perks and services for one year, and then make a decision if you want to keep it for the second year. That’s what I did.
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining of all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.