Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card
Pairs well with...
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Card Type
- Cash Advance
- Personal Income
- Household Income
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
Marriott Bonvoy credit card review
The Marriott Bonvoy rewards program is quite possibly one of the most flexible travel rewards programs in the world. That strength translates into the Marriott Bonvoy American Express being the card of choice for many travel-savvy Canadians.
What you get with your points
Points can be redeemed for valuable free hotel nights at any participating Marriott property. Their sub-brands include big hotel names like:
- Residence Inn
- Four Points
- W Hotels
- Le Meridien
So you have lots of options when finding a location to redeem your rewards.
And more importantly, points can be transferred to more 40 airline rewards programs worldwide ‒ most of them 3 to 1.
Keep in mind that most rewards programs don’t have any airline partners, and those that do usually allow you to transfer only to a handful of partners. 40 is completely unheard of.
Why choose Marriott Bonvoy's airline miles transfer option?
First, airline miles are many times more valuable than standard rewards points. Second, you're free to choose the airline rewards program that gives you the highest value depending on where and when you are travelling. That’s a travel hacker’s dream come true.
Bonus: If you transfer points to miles in 60,000 chunks, you'll get a bonus of 15,000 points which translates to an extra 5,000 miles in your chosen airline rewards program ‒ that’s a 25% bonus which makes that 3:1 ratio even better.
Canada's Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card
This American Express card has other great features, including:
- 50,000 welcome bonus points when you charge $1,500 in purchases to your card in your first three months.
- On your card's anniversary, you get a free night stay at any eligible Marriott location, plus you get 5 points for every dollar spent at any of those locations as well.
- Automatic Silver Elite status ‒ which allows you to take advantage of exclusive perks at participating Marriott properties including late checkout, a dedicated reservation (phone) line, exclusive member rates, and free internet when booking your room directly through their hotels, websites, apps, or with them over the phone. Plus, get 10% bonus points on stays.
- Upgrade to Gold Elite status when you spend $30,000 annually, which gives you even better perks at participating Marriott locations, including an upgraded room and a welcome gift of bonus points. You also get 25% bonus points on stays.
- Get 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year that can be used towards attaining the next level of Elite status.
- No annual fee on additional cards.
The bottom line: There’s lots to love with this card if you can put up with the limited extra point earning opportunities in Canada outside of the points you'll earn on the card or when staying at qualifying hotels.
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.
* Conditions apply.