American Express Gold Rewards Card
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Cash Advance
- Personal Income
- Household Income
- 2 points per $1 spent on all gas, grocery, drugstore, and travel purchases.
- Up to 25,000 bonus points* for signing up worth about $625 when transferred to Aeroplan.
- Transfer points 1:1 to Aeroplan or Avios miles to get 3x reward value.
- Pay for any travel or other card purchase with points (lowers reward value).
- Solid insurance coverage - 10 types including 15 days of travel medical.
- Exclusive Amex perks like Front Of The Line and free extras at 330 hotel partners.
- Free Additional Gold Rewards Card (a $50 value) to help you earn points faster.
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply Now button.
- As a Charge Card, the balance must always be paid in full each month.
- * Conditions apply.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Emergency Medical Term||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
The American Express Gold Rewards Card is the best all-around credit card in Canada.
It gives you complete control of your rewards allowing you to choose from flexible travel points, 1:1 transfers to airline miles, or you can even redeem your points instantly as a statement credit to pay for any purchase you make on the card.
Transferring your points to airline miles will, by far, give you the highest value for you rewards if you are willing to jump through the hoops of using either the Air Canada Aeroplan or British Airways Avios airline rewards programs. You can expect up to a 2.5x increase in the value of your rewards when redeeming for flights on Aeroplan compared to redeeming your points for statement credits.
It’s the only travel card that allows you to redeem your points for airline miles that gives you double points on 4 bonus spending categories: gas, grocery, drugstore, and travel.
To top it all off, there is up to a 25,000 point sign up bonus* worth about $625 when you transfer those points to Aeroplan and redeem them for long haul flights within Canada and the USA - Halifax to Vancouver for example.
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining of all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.