American Express Gold Rewards Card
- 100% flexible - redeem for cash, any travel, or transfer to airline miles.
- Get up to 2.5x the reward value when transferring to Aeroplan and redeeming for flights.
- 25,000 point sign up bonus worth about $625 in Aeroplan or Avios flights.
- 2x points on gas, grocery, drugstore, and travel purchases - unmatched by competitors.
- More premium features than most comparable cards with no minimum income to meet.
- Travel and other insurance included - 10 types including 15 days emergency medical.
- Get a second card free so your family can earn points faster.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Emergency Medical||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage|
The American Express Gold Rewards Card is the best all-around credit card in Canada.
It gives you complete control of your rewards allowing you to choose from flexible travel points, 1:1 transfers to airline miles, or you can even redeem your points instantly as a statement credit to pay for any purchase you make on the card.
Transferring your points to airline miles will, by far, give you the highest value for you rewards if you are willing to jump through the hoops of using either the Air Canada Aeroplan or British Airways Avios airline rewards programs. You can expect up to a 2.5x increase in the value of your rewards when redeeming for flights on Aeroplan compared to redeeming your points for statement credits.
It’s the only travel card that allows you to redeem your points for airline miles that gives you double points on 4 bonus spending categories: gas, grocery, drugstore, and travel.
To top it all off, there is a 25,000 point sign up bonus worth about $625 when you transfer those points to Aeroplan and redeem them for long haul flights within Canada and the USA - Halifax to Vancouver for example.