American Express AIR MILES Reserve Credit Card
Pairs well with...
- Annual Fee
- Extra Card Fee
- Card Type
- Cash Advance
- Balance Transfer
- Balance Transfer
- Transfer Term
- 6 months
- Personal Income
- Household Income
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Emergency Medical Term||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Yes|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
The American Express Air Miles Reserve is a travel credit card that comes with a list exclusive benefits. However, it also comes with a hefty annual fee price tag to the tune of $299 to pay for all those perks.
Question is: what are these perks worth to you?
It starts with a pretty nice welcome bonus* of up to 2,400 AIR MILES – the highest of any AIR MILES credit card. Also earning miles is super easy because you can earn 1 mile for every $10 spent on gas , grocery, drugstore, and AIR MILES sponsor purchases.
Plus, it offers an introductory balance transfer rate of 1.99% for 6 months. Decent rewards return and interest savings is a combo you don’t typically get.
But, what are the exclusive perks that make it stand out from other AIR MILES cards out there?
If you fly a lot, these 5 features alone could make this card worth the annual fee:
- Amex gives their Reserve customers 1 complimentary Companion Flight every year when you redeem your points through the AIR MILES flight program.
- You also get 4 annual passes to any of 900+ Priority Pass Lounges worldwide, as well as priority security and taxi lanes at Pearson airport – so you can save time.
- American Express AIR MILES Reserve is the only card that will waive the AIR MILES flight administration fee that you have to pay when you book your flight.
- Automatic Onyx status in the AIR MILES program giving you access to better rewards, discounts on flights and merchandise, plus more.
- The flexibility to book almost any flight with AIR MILES, including business class flights which isn’t something normal AIR MILES members can do.
Then there’s the 9 types of insurance coverage included with the card – check out the Insurance Coverage tab above.
Couple of cons:
- Not as widely accepted everywhere like all American Express cards (However, one way to get around this is to pair it with a top AIR MILES Mastercard),
- and yes, that $300 annual fee should give you pause.
Bottom line: if you travel a lot, have a higher yearly spend amount, and love AIR MILES – then this card is worth exploring.
Prefer an AIR MILES card with a lower annual fee, higher earn rates, and more acceptance? The
What are your thoughts?
◊ The creditcardGenius algorithm calculates an estimated dollar value for all rewards and bonuses by using a typical point value a person can realistically achieve by redeeming their rewards in a reasonably optimized way. The "Welcome Bonus" is the dollar value obtained by combining all one-time bonuses available to new cardholders within the first year. To qualify for the full bonus you may need to make purchases, meet minimum spending requirements, or complete special actions. Terms and conditions apply.
* Conditions apply.