American Express AIR MILES Reserve Credit Card
- Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 spent at AIR MILES Sponsors.
- Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 spent at grocery stores, gas stations, and drugstores.
- Earn 1 reward mile for every $15 spent elsewhere.
- Earn a bonus of 2,400 AIR MILES when you charge a total of $3,000 within your first 3 months.
- Once a year, receive a Companion Flight for your companion to travel with you, when you redeem your points within the AIR MILES Flight program.
- AIR MILES FlexFly gives you the ability to redeem your points for other airlines and destinations that are not available within the AIR MILES Flight program.
- Enjoy exclusive perks like 4 annual passes to Priority Pass lounges worldwide, Toronto Pearson priority security, limo, and taxi lanes.
- Enjoy a 1.99% promotional rate on balance transfers for the first 6 months.
- This is the only AIR MILES card that will waive the AIR MILES flight administration fee payable at time of booking.
- With 9 different types of travel and purchase insurance, you can travel and shop with ease.
- Automatic AIR MILES Onyx status.
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Emergency Medical||15 days|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage||$500|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage|
Please review your insurance certificate for details, exclusions and limitations of your coverage.
The American Express Air Miles Reserve is a travel credit card that comes with a list exclusive benefits. However, it also comes with a hefty annual fee price tag to the tune of $299 to pay for all those perks.
Question is: what are these perks worth to you?
It starts with a pretty nice sign up bonus of 2,400 AIR MILES - the highest of any AIR MILES credit card. Also earning miles is super easy because you can earn 1 mile for every $10 spent on gas, grocery, drugstore, and AIR MILES sponsor purchases.
Plus, it offers an introductory balance transfer rate of 1.99% for 6 months. Decent rewards return and interest savings is a combo you don't typically get.
But, what are the exclusive perks that make it stand out from other AIR MILES cards out there?
If you fly a lot, these 5 features alone could make this card worth the annual fee:
- Amex gives their Reserve customers 1 complimentary Companion Flight every year when you redeem your points through the AIR MILES flight program.
- You also get 4 annual passes to any of 900+ Priority Pass Lounges worldwide, as well as priority security and taxi lanes at Pearson airport - so you can save time.
- American Express AIR MILES Reserve is the only card that will waive the AIR MILES flight administration fee that you have to pay when you book your flight.
- Automatic Onyx status in the AIR MILES program giving you access to better rewards, discounts on flights and merchandise, plus more.
- The flexibility to book almost any flight with AIR MILES, including business class flights which isn't something normal AIR MILES members can do.
Then there's the 9 types of insurance coverage included with the card - check out the Insurance Coverage tab above.
Couple of cons:
- Like all American Express cards, this card is not as widely accepted everywhere (However, one way to get around this is to pair it with a top AIR MILES Mastercard),
- and yes, that $300 annual fee should give you pause.
Bottom line: If you travel a lot, have a higher yearly spend amount, and love AIR MILES - then this card is worth exploring.