For those of you who have been mourning the loss of your Chase Marriott Rewards Visa, we are happy to tell you that not all is lost.
American Express has teamed up with Marriott to offer a deal that will hopefully lessen the blow of losing that great credit card.
For a limited time – until April 18th, 2018 – any Marriott Rewards Visa cardholders who are approved for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express and who charge $1,500 in the first 3 months, will receive a welcome bonus of 25,000 Starpoints (which is equivalent to 75,000 Marriott Rewards).
The Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty Program
The Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty Program is one of the best travel rewards programs available right now. If you’re willing to do a little work to convert your Starpoints to Marriott Rewards Points, they can be:
- Used at any of the following Marriott Rewards and SPG partner properties, including Sheraton, Marriott, Delta Hotels, Four Points by Sheraton, Le Meridien…just to name a few.
- And transferred to over 30 different airline rewards programs – often at a 1 to 1 ratio.
These rewards can also be transferred to Marriott Rewards 1:3…so your 25,000 Starpoint offer is going to multiply to 75,000 Marriott rewards!
What can those Welcome points get you?
Here are some ideas:
Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
On top of this impressive welcome bonus that is worth over $780:
25,000 x 3.13 cents per Starpoint = $780
In order to get 3.13 cents for your Starpoints, cardholders would need to transfer their rewards to airline miles in 20,000 point chunks. When this is done, cardholders are given a 25% bonus.
Additionally, 2.5 cents is a reasonable value for an airline mile in many airline rewards programs when redeemed for valuable long haul economy flights. Value can go as high a 10 cents per mile on expensive business class flights or less than 1 cent per mile on cheap short haul flights.
20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 miles
25,000 miles * 2.5 cents = $625
$625 / 20,000 Starpoints = 0.03125 = 3.13 cents
25,000 Starpoints * 3.13 cents = $782.50
…the SPG Credit Card from Amex has some other great features. Here’s a quick list:
- Earn 1 Starpoint on every dollar spent, and until July 31st, 2018 you earn 2 Starpoints for every dollar spent at SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels.
- Link your Marriott Rewards and SPG accounts to automatically qualify for Marriott Rewards Silver Elite Status. Plus, get an automatic upgrade to Starwood Gold Preferred Guest membership when you reach $30,000 in purchases charged to the Credit Card each year. This gives you access to room upgrades, late checkout, and more
- Get a free weekend hotel night when you spend $40,000 annually.
- Enjoy an interest rate of 8.99% for the first year if you choose to transfer your other credit card balances to this American Express Card at the time of online application. There is no balance transfer fee for this offer.
The one thing that’s missing…
The one notable downside of the Amex SPG credit card is the fact that this card does charge a 2.5% foreign transaction fee whereas the Chase Marriott Rewards Visa did not.
Not a Marriott Rewards Visa cardholder
Don’t worry, you can still take advantage of the amazing benefits of this card.
New applicants can earn 20,000 Welcome Bonus Starpoints worth $626 (or enough for up to five free nights at a category 2 Starwood hotel).
This post was sponsored by Amex Bank of Canada. The views and opinions expressed in this blog, however, are purely my own.