Never miss an amazing deal ever again. Receive our weekly newsletter with the latest offers and deals directly to your inbox – subscribe now.
If you’re Canadian, there’s almost 100% probability that you’ve been to Canadian Tire at least a few times in your life (or, really, in the last week). It’s just part of who we are, and a long-standing part of the Canadian urban landscape.
Established in 1922, and now boasting over 1,600 variously-branded locations across the country, Canadian Tire created one of the first loyalty programs in Canada: Canadian Tire Money. And if you don’t have a bundle of that stuff stashed somewhere in a kitchen drawer or in the garage, your parents or grandparents probably did.
And while you can still collect real paper Canadian Tire Money, the majority of the program shifted to digital in 2015.
Simply use your Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards collector card, keychain mini-card, or app, and you will collect digital Canadian Tire Money that you never have to worry about until you want to use it. It’s just there, online, waiting for you. Nice and simple.
Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards at a glance
|Value of Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards:||$1 in Canadian Tire Money = $1.00|
|Ways to redeem Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards:||You can redeem for purchases at:
* Canadian Tire,
* Sport Chek, and
* participating Mark’s and Atmosphere stores.
|How to earn Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards:||You can collect rewards at:
* Canadian Tire,
* Sport Chek,
* Sports Rousseau,
* Hockey Experts,
* Gas+ and participating Husky locations, and
* participating Mark’s and Sports Experts locations.
|Who these rewards are good for:||Most Canadians|
|Frequently Asked Questions:||* What is the Canadian Tire Rewards program?
* How much are Canadian Tire rewards worth?
* Is there a way I can earn Triangle Rewards more quickly?
* How do I get started collecting Triangle Rewards?
* Where can I use Triangle Rewards once I have them?
Are you getting the most value from your rewards? Download this printable table ‒ and compare the dollar value of Canada’s 20+ rewards programs for FREE.
Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards value
Canadian Tire Money has a 1:1 value to real money. $1 in Canadian Tire Money can be redeemed for $1 in purchases at participating stores.
Ways to redeem your Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards
You can redeem your Canadian Tire Money for purchases in stores or online at:
- Canadian Tire,
- Sport Chek, and
- Participating Mark’s and Atmosphere stores.
According to the program rules, all merchandise sold online or in stores is eligible, except for:
- gift cards,
- prepaid cards,
- phone cards,
- hunting and fishing licenses, and
- tobacco products or alcohol.
How and where to earn Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards
You can earn Triangle Rewards for purchases at most Canadian Tire stores, which includes:
- Canadian Tire,
- Sport Chek,
- Sports Rousseau,
- Hockey Experts,
- Gas+ and participating Husky locations, and
- participating Mark’s and Sports Experts locations.
It’s important to note that you don’t earn rewards on most fees, taxes, service, and labour charges (except for automobile service and labour). For full details, read the “Eligible Merchandise” section of the program rules.
Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards earn rates
The rate at which you earn Triangle Rewards depends whether you’re buying merchandise or gas. Here’s the rundown of the base earn rates:
- 0.4% back in Canadian Tire Money on pre-tax purchases for merchandise, and
- 3 cents in Canadian Tire Money per litre at Gas+ when you pay with cash or debit.
If you have a Triangle credit card, you can boost these earn rates significantly.
How to sign up for Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards
To get started collecting Triangle Rewards, you first need to head over to the Triangle Rewards program website and register for an account.
Once you do that, you’ll be given a Triangle Rewards number that you can start using immediately when making purchases online or in store.
You can also start the process by getting a Triangle Rewards collector card at any Canadian Tire location.
You’ll have to register for an account before you can start using it, but it will give you a physical card (and keychain mini-card) that you can carry with you if you don’t want to install the app on your phone.
Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards app
If you do want to use the app (it really is very convenient), just head over to either the Google Play store or the Apple App Store and install the app. Once it’s on your phone, simply open it up and either register for a new account or sign into your existing account.
The app will:
- show you how much Canadian Tire Money you have collected,
- give you quick access to a scannable virtual collector card (and let you add it to your digital wallet),
- let you shop at the online Canadian Tire store,
- display the current Canadian Tire weekly flyer,
- show you currently featured deals and sales at Canadian Tire,
- let you create and store a wishlist of items,
- display a map and locations for your local Canadian Tire stores, and
- let you modify your account settings.
It’s a convenient way to earn and use your Canadian Tire Money, but, as with all of these sorts of things, the app could have privacy and tracking issues. It’s understandable if you don’t want to install it.
Canadian Tire Triangle Mastercards
If you really want to boost your Triangle Rewards earn rate, the best way to this is by getting one of the Canadian Tire Triangle Mastercards.
|Annual fee||Rewards earn rate|
|Triangle World Elite Mastercard||$0||* 3% back in Canadian Tire Money on purchase at grocery stores (up to $12,000 spent annually)
* 4% back in Canadian Tire Money for every (pre-tax) $1 spent at participating retailers
* 7 cents in Canadian Tire Money back per litre of premium fuel, and 5 cents per litre of all other fuel types at Gas+ and participating Husky stations
|Triangle Mastercard||$0||* 4% back in Canadian Tire Money for every (pre-tax) $1 spent at participating retailers
* 0.8% back in Canadian Tire Money for every $1 spent elsewhere
* 5 cents in Canadian Tire Money back at Gas+ and Husky stations
There’s a 3rd Canadian Tire Triangle Mastercard – the Triangle World Mastercard – but it’s only available by invitation. It’s a hybrid of its 2 sister cards, giving you the same 4% earn rate on merchandise as the Triangle Mastercard, but the higher earn rate on gas like the Triangle World Elite Mastercard. It also has no annual fee.
Alternate credit cards to use at Canadian Tire stores
If you’re not keen on getting 1 of the Canadian Tire Triangle Mastercards, but you would still like to maximize your rewards when shopping at Canadian Tire, we have a couple of suggestions.
|Annual fee||Rewards earn rate||Interested?|
|Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card||$0||* Earn 2% cash back on purchases in up to 3 categories of your choice
* Earn 0.5% cash back on all other purchases
|Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite Card||$120, first year free||* 4% cash back on recurring bills and grocery purchases
* 2% cash back on gas and daily transit purchases
* 1% cash back on all other purchases
|Brim World Elite Mastercard||$199, first year free||* Earn 2 points for every $1 spent up to $25,000 spent annually (effectively a 2% cash back rate)
* Earn 1 point for every $1 spent over $25,000 annually
* Brim Rewards are worth 1 cent per point
|TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card||$120, rebated for the first year||* 10% cash back on all purchases for the first 3 months up to a total spend of $2,000 (apply before Sept
* Earn 3% cash back on groceries, gas purchases, and recurring bill payments
* Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases
|Brim Mastercard||$0||* Earn 1 Brim Rewards point for every $1 spent (effectively a 1% cash back rate)||Apply now|
Let’s take a closer look at these cards.
No annual fee with 2% cash back in up to 3 categories
If most of your spending is in particular categories (groceries, gas, restaurants, etc.), the
You can get 2% unlimited cash back on up to 3 spending categories of you choice, including:
- recurring bill payments,
- drug store,
- home improvement,
- entertainment, and
- public transportation and parking.
And, the home improvement category counts towards purchases made at Canadian Tire.
If you only have the credit card, you only get 2 of these categories, but you can add a 3rd if you also have a Tangerine Savings Account and deposit your rewards into it.
The downsides to this card are that the 0.5% cash back earn rate isn’t that great, and it only has 2 types of included insurance coverage. On the other hand, this and the no fee Brim Mastercard would be a good combination, giving you 2% cash back in your selected spending categories, plus 1% cash back on everything else.
You can read more in our full review of the Tangerine Money-Back Mastercard.
4% cash back on groceries and recurring bills
- extended warranty and purchase protection coverage,
- rare mobile device insurance,
- an array of valuable travel insurance, and
- the first year is free.
Flat 2% cash back up to $25,000 spent annually
If a flat rate cash back card is more your style, the
- 15 different kinds of purchase and travel protection, including the very rare event ticket cancellation coverage,
- no foreign transaction fees, saving you the normal 2.5% charge,
- the chance to earn bonus rewards for shopping online at over 150 partner retailers,
- free complimentary LoungeKey membership, and
- access to Boingo WiFi for no extra charge.
3% cash back in 3 categories, and 1% cash back on everything else
- gas, and
- recurring bill payments.
Each of these categories has a $15,000 annual spend cap, but that’s still pretty generous.
In addition, with this card you’ll get all of the Visa Infinite perks, including access to the Luxury Hotel Collection, their Visa Infinite Dining Series, the Wine Country Program, a complimentary concierge service, and more.
All of this plus 6 types of insurance coverage, all for a $120 annual fee that is waived for the first year you have the card.
1% cash back on all purchases for no annual fee
Not interested in paying an annual fee? No problem. The
- 1% unlimited cash back on all purchases,
- the chance to earn up to $200 in bonus rewards,
- 5 different kinds of purchase and travel insurance, including the rare event ticket cancellation coverage,
- no foreign transaction fees, and
- free access to Boingo WiFi.
And all of this is for no annual fee.
Maximizing your Triangle Rewards
There aren’t any real tricks to boosting your Triangle Rewards earn rate, other than the pretty obvious steps of:
- get one of the Triangle Rewards Mastercards and use it as much as you can,
- buy all your gas at Gas+ or Husky locations,
- shop at Canadian Tire, Mark’s, and other participating retailers.
The Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards program is one of the longest-standing rewards programs in Canada, and it has a lot of nostalgia value for many of us who have been shopping at Canadian Tire for decades.
On the other hand, it is a relatively limited, and pretty inflexible rewards program that may not get you the best bang for your rewards-earning buck.
Chances are you’d be better off focusing on earning rewards for one of the more flexible and valuable rewards programs in Canada, or just maximizing your cash back with one of the many cash back credit cards available.
What do you think of the Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards program?
Do you still have a stash of the old paper Canadian Tire Money tucked away in a forgotten drawer somewhere?
Have you been collecting the new digital CT money?
Is this rewards program still worth it, or do you focus on earning some other sort of rewards?
Let us know in the comments.
Looking to earn rewards without a credit card? See which rewards program takes the top spot here.
What is the Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards program?
The Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards program launched in 2015 as a digital addition to the old Canadian Tire Money rewards program that has been part of Canadian life since 1922. You can still collect paper Canadian Tire Money, but the emphasis is now on the digital version of the program, which is more convenient with its online site and phone apps.
How much are Canadian Tire rewards worth?
$1 in Canadian Tire Money is worth $1, redeemable at participating Canadian Tire stores.
Is there a way I can earn Triangle Rewards more quickly?
The easiest way to start collecting Triangle Rewards more quickly is to get one of the Triangle Rewards Mastercards. These boost your earn rates significantly, particularly when making purchases at Canadian Tire stores.
How do I get started collecting Triangle Rewards?
You can get started by going to the Canadian Tire Triangle Rewards website and registering for an account. This will give you a rewards number that you can start using immediately, and you can then download the app to your phone for easy scanning when checking out at participating stores.
Where can I use my Triangle Rewards once I have them?
You can only use your Canadian Tire Money when making purchases at Canadian Tire, Mark’s, Sport Chek, and Atmosphere stores.
- Aeroplan Rewards
- Air Miles
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- Amex Membership Rewards
- Best Western Rewards
- BMO Rewards
- Brim Rewards
- CIBC Rewards
- Cineplex SCENE Points
- Desjardins BONUSDOLLARS
- HSBC Rewards
- Marriott Bonvoy Rewards
- MBNA Rewards
- More Rewards
- National Bank À La Carte Rewards
- PC Optimum
- RBC Rewards Travel Program
- Scotia Rewards Points
- TD Rewards
- Tims Rewards
- WestJet Rewards